Thursday, July 03, 2014

Compost bin, out and nursery train.

1. My compost bin arrives -- it's always exciting to receive a parcel. While Bettany sleeps I tidy a space for it, and then after lunch she plays with some stones and flower pots while I click it together and empty my scruffy sacks into it. The garden suddenly looks larger -- although it now needs a sweep, and Bettany needs a good brushing because she is covered in earth.

2. We missed the recycling collection a fortnight ago, and what with one thing and another the cupboard has got very full. Now we've caught up and the house feels lighter, somehow, less congested.

3. To get a message from Nick saying he is on the nursery train so Bettany and I can stay at home instead of rushing up the hill.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...