Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Full, cardboard and useful.

1. It rained in the night and the waterbutt is full. There is a dull but satisfying clunk when I thump its flank.

2. The six of us -- four children and two mothers -- add further details to Alec's rocket (the box the waterbutt came in) with pens and a stanley knife.

3. I always want to be the sort of person who does the small useful things that people having a tough time need but don't always think to ask for -- but I rarely spot these needs in time, or I am afraid to offer in case... in case I don't know what, really. Anyway -- today I saw a chance to make myself useful, and judging by the reaction my offer was welcome and needed.

Poached egg, acer and bramble.

1. Carefully opening my poached egg so the yolk runs on to the toast. 2. The acer tree -- lime green edged with crimson. 3. Bramble shoots, ...